Anytime you’re shopping for a used car, one of the key points to check is the mileage. Many would recommend steering clear of a used car with over 100,000 miles, but high mileage doesn’t necessarily mean the car isn’t in good condition. If a high-mileage car is up to date on service with no history of accidents or damage, it’s worth considering. So, what is a good mileage on a used car? Read on to learn more from Rolls Auto Sales — your trusted used car dealer near South Jersey.
Tips for Smart Used Car Shopping
When you’re searching for a great buy on a pre-owned car, keep the following points of interest in mind:
- Usage History – If a car was driven 50,000 miles in predominantly in heavy city traffic, chances are it’ll wear down faster than a car that was driven the same distance on smooth and open roads. The previous owner’s driving history plays an important role in the longevity of the car.
- Climate – Cars that are driven in warm and dry climates tend to last longer and develop fewer mechanical problems than cars driven in cold and wet climates.
- Reliability – You’ll want to get a certified mechanic to inspect the car to find any signs of problems, such as rust and wear and tear. Make sure to include these costs into your budget.
- Service History – If a car hasn’t been well-maintained, you’ll want to look elsewhere. Before buying a used car, make sure it’s current on all necessary services, such as oil changes, multi-point inspections, and more.
Age vs. Mileage: What’s the Difference?
Good mileage for used cars varies — and the same goes for age. Just because a car is a newer model, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good buy. You can easily find an older, high-mileage car that runs great and is up to date on service, just as you could find a newer, low-mileage car that was kept in someone’s garage. In addition to the above-mentioned tips, keep this information in mind while you shop:
- If a car hasn’t been driven regularly, its repair costs will probably be higher. Wear and tear on gaskets, seals, and lines can develop if a car isn’t driven.
- Again, if you’re considering a used car and find out that service has been neglected, move on to another option.
- Vehicles with low mileage are more expensive than those with higher mileage.
Shop High-Quality Used Cars at Rolls Auto Sales!
Buying the right used car involves more research beyond answering the question, “What is good mileage on a used car?” Fortunately, Reading and Allentown drivers don’t need to look far for a reliable pre-owned sedan, SUV, or truck. Rolls Auto Sales offers a wide selection and pre-owned specials. Contact us to learn more about our used inventory and for answers to questions like “Can I trade in a financed car?”